I have always had trouble asking for help, so I have asked... my mother to do it:
Hi, I'm Elaine, Jill's mother. As you all know, my daughter is a real talent. She has put out 6 great CDs (which never leave my stereo), and has been on 4 labels -- two of which went bankrupt; the other two were also farkakte.
This time she wants to do it on her own. She has some wonderful new songs (although she has not sent them to me, like I asked). She also has lined up some wonderful musicians and guest artists.
So help and be a part of her new album, in exchange for some wonderful gifts and services.
Thanks, mom. So, last November I sent out a letter toying with the idea of recording a fan-funded CD. It would be a sort of patronage thing, where you guys are the Medici family, except I give you prizes for donations of certain amounts. Here's what I've come up with:
- $10 - Unpolished Rock (but with potential) Level: A free digital download of the album, when it's released.
- $25 - Polished Rock Level: An advance copy of the CD. Weeks before the masses.
- $50 - Pewter Level: An advance copy and a "Thank You" on the CD.
- $100 - Copper Level: All the above, plus a T-shirt saying you're a junior executive producer on the album.
- $200 - Bronze Level: Free admission to my shows for 2008.
- $250 - Silver Level: All the above, plus a membership to the "Secret Society Producer's Club," which means you'll get a secret password to a website where I'll post some rough tracks, or... something worthwhile.
- $500 - Gold Level: This is where it gets good! At the end of my CD, I'll do a fun instrumental track where I'll mention your name and maybe rhyme with it. And if you don't want your name used, you can give me a loved one's instead. What a great gift!
- $750 - Gold Doubloons Level: Exactly like the gold level, but you give me more money.
- $1,000 - Platinum Level: How would you like to have a theme song written for you? I'll have a song you can put on your answering machine and show off. Again, this could be a gift.
- $2,500 - Emerald Level: Mentioned as an executive producer of the album -- whoop-di-doo!
- $5,000 — Diamond Level: I will come and do a house concert for you. Invite your friends, serve some drinks, bring me out and I sing. Actually, this level is a smart choice economically. I've played many house concerts where the host has charged his guests and made his money back. I'd go for this if I were you.
- $10,000 - Weapons-Grade Plutonium Level: You get to come and sing on my CD. Don't worry if you can't sing - we can fix that on our end. Also, you can always play the cowbell.
I basically want to come up with $75,000 for recording and other related costs. I'll keep up you up to date on the tally (like the Jerry Lewis Telethon) and once I arrive at my goal, I'll show you where the money is going... Atlantic City! No, I promise to make you all a great record, with your help.
[More info (FAQ)]